Masturbation Techniques and Tips
Masturbation Techniques From Basic to Advanced
Sooner or later the majority of us learn to achieve an orgasm from masturbatory activity of some sort or another. Once we find a way of getting off, we tend to stick with that method, as it's easy and always worked for us. Though that may be fine if all you want is a surefire orgasm, imagine the pleasure a new technique might bring you. In this section we have recorded a whole range of techniques that we have tried or have heard of and think sound practical and fun. Feel free to try any or all of them, add to them if you want and, of course, let us have details of your special ways of getting off.
The simple truth is there are as many different masturbation techniques as there are women masturbating, and that's more than you might think!! If you've never tried to masturbate before then I suggest you begin by using what you have at your fingertips (umm, your fingertips) before moving onto more advanced techniques.
Most girls probably first discover masturbation by innocently touching their genitals with their fingers. Its therefore probably not surprising that hand and finger stimulation of the vulva and clitoris is reported to be the most common method of masturbation among women. It is also the easiest as nothing extra is needed for a satisfying session. So how to best do it? Some real-life examples:
- Lying on the bed facing up with legs together and ankles crossed. Index finger slipped between the labia majora so that it presses along the length of the clitoris. Gentle but firm wrist movements to make the inserted finger rub the clitoris in up and down, side to side and circular motions. Speed and strength of movement increased as excitement builds. Sensations increased by squeezing thigh muscles together at same time as finger rubbing clitoris.
- Lying on back with legs drawn up and knees allowed to flop apart. Palm of hand placed on pubic mound and fingers allowed to rest on open vulva. Movement of hand to stimulate clitoris in side to side, up and down, circular and gentle pinching movements.
- Lying face down on bed with both hands underneath and between legs. Fingers pressed against vulva and clitoris. Pelvic thrusts to move the genitals up and down against the fingers.
- Sitting in a comfortable chair with legs well spread. Taking clitoris between the tips of both index fingers, rolling it around and pulling back on its hood to get maximum stimulation.
Who would have thought that two chemicals, namely hydrogen and oxygen, could be used to give you pleasure, but it's true: there are more ways to masturbate in water than you might think. Think bath tub, shower and or Jacuzzi. All three can be used to great effect in the wonderful world magic kingdom of clitorial massage.
Let's look at the most common technique, which involves a hand-held shower head. The first thing you want to do is adjust the temperature so that it is not too hot for the sensitive area of the vagina. You can always turn up the heat once you are accustomed to the temperature. Then find a comfortable position - either sitting on a seat within the shower, or lying down in the tub. Shower stalls can be a bit confining for this form of masturbation, but there is usually enough room to sit on the floor with your legs bent. I suggest for the first time that you do this that you not stand. I've found that when I'm nearing climax that my legs tend to weaken, and we don't want any unnecessary trips to the emergency room if you accidentally slip and fall.
Now, take the shower head and let the water spray over your body, feel the tingling sensations as it sprays against your breasts. Imagine the sensations are being created by the hands of your lover and spray where you want to feel the touch. Slowly make your way down your torso to your vaginal area. Spreading your legs, let the water reach up and down the insides of your thighs, and when your ready for advancing, move it closer to your clit. Remember that direct contact with your clit may be overpowering, so try moving the water stream back and forth. Try bringing it closer, and moving it farther away to cover a larger area.
Note that shower massagers come with many different settings - everything from mist to pulse. Experiment and try them all! Start with the lightest amount of pressure and work your way up. If you are sitting, you can always operate the water with one hand, and use the fingers on the other hand to either stimulate your breasts and nipples, or you can insert a finger or two and see how that feels.
The main point is to relax and let your body feel all that is happening to it. If it feels good, keep doing it. If it's not right, try sitting in a different position, changing the water temperature, trying a different pulse setting, anything that makes if feel better.
Now we can move onto the bathtub. Like the shower, the bath holds many ways to excite and masturbate. Many women, myself included, enjoy lying on their backs in their bathtub and allowing the water from the faucet to wash over their vagina. This isn't always the easiest of positions to achieve but it can be great fun.
- Fill the tub with water about halfway. Lie on your back, and bring your buttocks up so they are against or almost against the end of the tub with the faucet. Position your vagina as directly below the faucet as possible. Adjust the temperature and pressure of the water flow to your liking; you might have to tilt up your pelvis to bring your vagina closer to the water flow of the faucet. It might help to use one or both hands to spread open your labia (vagina "lips") so the water can flow directly onto your clitoris. Just one word of warning here, make sure the water isn't too hot! There is nothing worse that scolding your pussy. Once you have found the right position, lie back, relax, fantasize, and enjoy!
- "Occasionally I bring myself to orgasm in the bathtub. First I excite myself with fingers, and then I turn the water on and get into an acrobatic position so my vagina is directly under the faucet. I start with the water warm or cool and at a low pressure on my clitoris. When I have gotten excited I run the water harder and lift myself closer to the water and let it pound over my clit and then I come and it's the most fantastic feeling."
- Another technique that can be fun involves filling an empty detergent bottle (one with a nozzle) or shampoo bottle with warm water. Sit in a full bath tub, ensuring your vulva is at least a couple of inches under water. Put the nozzle of the bottle as close as you like to your clitoris and squeeze. After each squeeze the bottle will spring back into shape, sucking in more water so there will be no need to stop for a refill.
A favorite waterproof toy: The Romance Vibrator
If your lucky enough to own a hot tub/Jacuzzi, then the chances are you're already aware of the wonderful effects that the water that flows from it's jets can have on your body. I like to begin by simply relaxing in the tub and allowing the water to wash over me. At this point I'll open my mind and begin to fantasize, sometimes touching my breasts, other times just lying back and relaxing. Once my mind is aroused, I'll turn towards the water jets and position my clitoris so it's directly in the path of the flowing water. A word of caution here: Never position yourself to close to the jet, as the flow of water is normally very strong from these jets. Begin by placing a fair amount of distance between yourself and the water jet and then move closer until you discover a spot that places just the right amount of pressure on your clitoris. Once you've found the right position, relax and enjoy the soothing sensation of the water as it washes over your body.
For those of us that take longer to reach orgasm, manual stimulation can become quite tiring. If this is the case, try a vibrator.
When it comes to vibrators there are a few types. Those operated by batteries, rechargeable vibrators, and those that plug directly into the wall. In general, electric vibrators are the most powerful of the bunch.
The Hitachi Magic Wand is a strong electrical vibrator that is the best-selling vibrator of all time.
When you first try a vibrator, explore its settings and functions before touching yourself with it. Try it on its lowest setting first, and use it all over your labia until you find the right spot. Some women like direct clitoral stimulation, while some women like over-the-hood stimulation or vibrations targeted near the vaginal opening. Don't be afraid explore. The idea is to have fun and find what works for you personally.
One thing that is often overlooked when people first try vibrators is lubricant. Just simply adding a small amount of lubricant on your chosen toy before you begin playing can greatly enhance your experience. Just be sure that the lubricant is suitable for use with the vibrator of your choice. Liquid Silk is a water-based lubricant known for smooth, luscious and long-lasting.
Apart from traditional vibrators, there are other vibrating devices you can have lots of fun with. For example, the back of the head of an electric tooth brush is great fun. The fact that it is really narrow allows it to be kept on the clitoris even if you like to squeeze your legs while you play. An automatic washing machine during spin cycle - if you can sit on it - are great. Electric shavers can be fun too, but you have to cover the cutting head. (I used this method as a girl at home several years ago. I would remove the cutting screen and would use sticking plasters to wrap the cutting head to make a padded surface with which to stimulate myself.) - Look around, you will find loads of things that vibrate in kitchens, bathrooms and garages and many can be used to masturbate, provided there are no sharp or moving parts that could hurt you.
Thigh SqueezingSome women can achieve sexual pleasure -- even orgasm -- by simply squeezing or rubbing their thighs together, thus indirectly stimulating the clitoris. This technique can even be used in public! Long bus ride? Boring desk job or classroom? No problem!
Suggestions for getting started:
- When masturbating at home, make it a habit to press together your thighs when you orgasm. After that becomes second-nature, press your thighs when you can't stop yourself from having an orgasm (but haven't yet), and then pull your hands away -- leave it up to your legs to ride yourself over the top. You're bound to have a few frustrating flameouts, but the practice is worth it. Eventually, with the help of fantasy and association, you'll be able to proceed using only your thighs from earlier and earlier in the masturbation process.
- Some women prefer "riding the seam" of jeans; others like the greater closeness of hose or bare legs under a skirt or dress. Experiment to find what works for you.
- "Rhythmically squeezing your thighs is intensely pleasurable, even if you don't orgasm. And when you do......well, it is amazing. Especially if you are in a place where you could get caught!"
- "I am so sensitive I do not even wear pants, only skirts and dresses. I have to sit squeezing myself with my thighs to keep some control over the sensation when I sit down.
Whatever you choose to insert, it will technically be a dildo, as dildo is the name for a substitute penis used for penetrative masturbation. For this reason we will just use the word dildo but you can read it as being whatever you have on hand (hair brush handle, carrot, candle, etc..). First off, ensure your vagina is well lubricated, either with natural juices or some form of lubrication such as Astroglide. The Basix 6.5 Inch Dildo is a dildo that feels like the real thing.
Take it easy with the insertion, especially if the object you are using is larger than a couple of fingers in diameter. Moving the dildo in and out gives a pleasant feeling but experiment with stirring actions and trying different angles of insertion. An angle where the head of the dildo is going to rub up the front wall of your vagina may be especially nice for you (it rubs on your 'G' spot). Working the dildo only takes one hand so it may be fun to use the other elsewhere, such as on your clitoris. This is the most likely way to have an orgasm as few women orgasm from vaginal stimulation only (though it is nice). It can also be fun to combine a dildo with a vibrator at this point as well, or perhaps invest in the type of dildo that also vibrates.
As with all masturbation the key is to be comfortable. A few positions that may suit you include:
- Standing with one foot raised on something like a chair so that you can get access
- Lying on the floor or on a bed with both legs drawn up and knees spread
- Kneeling with knees wide apart. This can be enhanced by having a soft chair to lean forward onto. If the dildo is long enough to touch the floor and be inside you at the same, this can be an especially nice position, as pelvic thrusts will move the shaft inside your vagina without you needing to use your hands at all leaning back against a wall with your legs spread.
- Dildos can also be used externally to good effect, especially the softer latex/silicone types. To try this option, grease up your dildo with plenty of lube, place it in a flat surface that you can straddle (pile of cushions, arm of a sofa, edge of a bath tub etc) and sit on it so that it runs the length of your vulva from clitoris to anus. Slide your body back and forth so that your weight pushes your clitoris and other sensitive parts down onto the shaft as it slides through between your labia majora, and slide to and fro.
It is worth considering issues of dildo size. First, don't believe the myth that bigger is always better. The best is the one that suits you and that may be a long, thin one, a short, fat one or a long, fat one (especially for those of us that have had children). You're no less of a woman if you want a small one or more of one if you want a king-size tool. It should be kept in mind that narrower shafts are easier to insert and allow faster stroking, whereas thicker ones take more inserting and are usually harder to work in and out, though they do give a pleasant 'stuffed' sensation.
Humping is thrusting your genitals against something hard or at least firm. Some examples of this include:
- Sliding along the edge of the bath tub.
- Sitting on a pillow or cushion and rocking the hips back and forth. Or try lying face down with something like a chair leg pressed up against your vulva. Thrusting up and down causes your clitoris to rub on the leg. A nicely shaped leg, with ridges or nubs, can be very pleasurable.
Strip off and lie on the floor face down. It works best if you are shaved down there but it works if you are hairy too. Press your pubic bone into the floor as hard as you can and rock your body like you are trying to crawl but don't work hard enough to actually move from the spot. The flesh on your pubis will be alternately pulled tight and made slack. This transmits to your clitoris through the outer lips and feels great after a minute or two. (Extra bonus - it is a good exercise for your waist too).
There are a range of techniques that involve moving a cord or something similar back and forth along your vulva. Some examples:
- Take a stocking or a pair of tights and hold the foot in one hand behind your back, let the fabric drape between your legs and hold the other end in your other hand at the front. The material should then be pulled up into the crotch so that it works into your vulva. Pulling it gently backwards and forwards causes it to stimulate your clitoris in a divine way. (PST: silk stockings are so much nicer than nylon for this!)
- Using a cord off a dressing gown or a length of ribbon in the same way as detailed above is also fun. If the ribbon is to be specially purchased for this sort of play, try and get one about an inch wide and a yard long. One with the little edge loops is also worth considering. If its an option, try oiling the material up before playing by rubbing a little lubricant along its length. A long beaded necklace or a synthetic pearl string can be great for this too. The knobs feel great as they slide by.
Masturbation need not be a hurried thing. If you have plenty of time, the excitement can be built up to amazing levels, and orgasms made stronger, if you go really slowly and tease yourself to a climax. The secret of this is light stimulation. A few personally tested ways of doing this are given below.
- Makeup brush. The very large and super soft round headed brushes that are designed for putting on powder make wonderful masturbation tools. First wash yourself well and dry your clitoris and vulva thoroughly. Then, spread out on the bed/floor so that your vulva is wide open. This is one technique where being shaved can be an advantage. With very light flicking strokes tickle your clitoris and inner lips with the bristles of the brush. Stay away from your vaginal entrance as it will probably become moist and this moistness will collect on the brush and spoil the delicate stimulation it gives. Important - after a while the sensitivity of your clitoris will increase and you will feel like finishing yourself off quickly. Don't be tempted. The longer this stage lasts the greater the tension will be when you do cum and so the more explosive the climax. No matter how badly you want to drop the brush and finish yourself off quickly stick with the gentle flicking. It will get you there eventually and the journey is sooooo nice!!
- Feather. A nice long quill, as long as it is clean, can be great fun. Apart from the flicking and brushing actions described above you can also enjoy a pulling the feather along your vulva like an extension of a single finger. As the feather is less susceptible dampness than a brush you don't need to keep away from your vagina so much. The great thing is that as you get more aroused and feel like pressing on harder the feather simply flexes and so the level of stimulation stays the same.
As was stated at the beginning of the techniques section, there is no wrong way to masturbate. If you try something and it doesn't work for you then I suggest you try another but don't give up the first time you try. We live in a society that tells women that they must be missing out on something if they don't achieve orgasm.